Making the grade – Exploring the importance of fertility testing
1 in 8 couples will have trouble conceiving. At USC Fertility, our physicians stress the importance of fertility testing. It can provide critical details that may affect your ability to build or expand your family. Our Los Angeles fertility center offers comprehensive diagnostic screenings designed to identify common causes of infertility.
The importance of fertility testing – A brief overview of infertility statistics
Generally, female infertility accounts for one-third of fertility issues. Male factor infertility creates problems in another one-third of cases. Unexplained infertility or a combination of factors represent the final third. Our Los Angeles fertility center doctors encourage fertility testing in the following situations.
- A woman who is younger than 35 and has been unable to conceive for a year
- Any woman who is older than 35 and has tried to conceive for over six months
- Couples or individuals who have received medical treatments that may affect fertility
- Women or men with known or suspected fertility issues
- Anyone at risk of passing on an inheritable genetic disorder
Understanding how fertility testing works
When you decide to pursue fertility testing, your Los Angeles fertility center doctor will likely recommend the following as part of a complete fertility evaluation.
- A thorough review of your medical history
- Blood tests to check hormone levels and identify any imbalances
- Ultrasound evaluation to assess the uterus, uterine lining and ovaries
- A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to look for blockages in the fallopian tubes
Additionally, we will likely suggest a semen analysis for your partner. This simple fertility test will evaluate the count, shape, concentration, volume and motility of the sperm sample. These details will enable your Los Angeles fertility center doctor to determine whether any potential male factor fertility issues exist.
Once we have the results of the fertility testing, your physician will review the information with you and determine treatments to address any obstacles standing in the way of a healthy pregnancy.
If you think that infertility issues might be hindering your chances of getting pregnant, contact our office to make an appointment at our Los Angeles fertility center. We can help identify potential problems and devise an infertility treatment plan. Our caring team will work to make your dream of parenthood come true.