Tips for surviving the holidays with infertility from our Los Angeles fertility center
Well-known holiday tunes often talk of chestnuts roasting, carolers singing and the “most wonderful time of the year.” However, for some couples and individuals, surviving the holidays with infertility can present additional challenges. The team at USC Fertility understands that fertility treatments and family holiday gatherings may not mix well. Our Los Angeles fertility center experts would like to offer our patients strategies for getting through the time from Thanksgiving to the New Year.
Our suggestions for surviving the holidays with infertility
The festivities this time of year typically involve food, drink and families. It can feel like rubbing salt in an open wound to spend extended periods of time with babies and young children when you aren’t having any luck getting pregnant. We offer the following helpful hints about surviving the holidays with infertility.
- Be honest with friends and relatives. Don’t feel the need to accept every invitation, especially the ones you know will include small children. Let your loved ones know that you need to sit this one out.
- Take time for yourself. Even without infertility, the holidays generate a significant amount of anxiety. Give yourself a mental health break by scheduling a massage or sneaking off to see an afternoon movie.
- Plan adult-only activities. Christmas focuses a great deal on children. As a result, you should go all out for New Year’s Eve, which is geared to grown-ups. Enjoy a night on the town with your partner and adult friends.
- Cultivate an attitude of gratitude. The sadness that comes with infertility can cloud your point of view. Try to remember the good things in your life, like your overall health, relationship with your significant other, your job and the people who care about you.
- Give back to those less fortunate. Consider volunteering at a soup kitchen or donating blankets to a homeless center. These acts of kindness can help shift your focus away from your infertility struggles.
When you are struggling to have a baby, the stress can affect all areas of your life. Our Los Angeles fertility center team can provide compassionate care and support during this difficult time, including help surviving the holidays with infertility. Contact our office for more information or to schedule a consultation appointment.