Get a healthy start with health tips to promote fertility
For many couples, simple lifestyle changes can make a big difference in their ability to get pregnant, either on their own or with fertility treatment. That’s why your Los Angeles fertility specialist is likely to ask a lot of questions about diet, exercise and other factors, then offer a few health tips to promote fertility.
As the old saying goes, “You are what you eat,” so while you’re trying to conceive, be sure to consume a nutritious, balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats and protein. Avoid sugary sodas and drink plenty of water: Eight 8 oz. glasses a day is a good guideline.
More health tips to promote fertility
In addition to a good diet, keep in mind these other health tips to promote fertility while you’re trying to conceive.
- Take prenatal vitamins with folic acid, which boost nutrition and help prevent certain birth defects.
- Get any known medical conditions under control, and be sure to discuss any medications you are taking with your Los Angeles fertility specialist.
- Cut the caffeine back to one cup of coffee a day. Caffeine is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage and reduced fertility.
- Don’t use alcohol or drugs; they may harm fertility and could be dangerous for a developing fetus.
- Quit smoking. Nicotine can cause your eggs to age prematurely.
- Limit your exposure to chemicals and toxins.
- Get plenty of exercise, but don’t overdo it. Too much can make your cycles irregular or stop them altogether.
- Aim for a “normal” body mass index, or BMI. Both obesity and being underweight can negatively affect your ability to get pregnant.
- Minimize stress by taking time just for you.
Get your partner healthy, too
If something is bad for your fertility, it’s probably bad for your male partner’s, too. In addition to quitting smoking and cutting back on alcohol and caffeine, he should avoid hot tubs and saunas, as overheating of the testicles may cause sperm problems. If your partner is overweight, he might need to try to shed some pounds, too.
For more health tips to promote fertility, schedule a consultation with a Los Angeles fertility specialist. Contact us today.