Our Los Angeles fertility center doctors help patients decipher common fertility acronyms
When you are just beginning your fertility treatment journey, all the fertility acronyms can be overwhelming. The team at USC Fertility realizes that our patients may find the jargon confusing. Our doctors can help by breaking down the ABCS of fertility to ensure that you understand the terminology and the treatment process.
The 411 on fertility acronyms
Hearing acronyms like ART, IVF and RE can make your head spin. Fortunately, the experts at our Los Angeles fertility center can provide a cheat sheet so that you can make sense of all the fertility acronyms. The following definitions will get you started with the most common infertility terms.
- ART. Assisted reproductive technology refers to the treatments and procedures that help patients achieve pregnancy. The more specific definition involves fertility treatments that include the handling of both eggs and embryos.
- IUI. Intrauterine insemination involves your doctor transferring sperm from your partner or a donor directly into the uterus via a catheter.
- IVF. In vitro fertilization is a fertility treatment option that involves fertilizing the egg with sperm in the laboratory and then transferring the resulting embryo to the uterus.
- MF. If the causes of infertility are associated with the male partner, it is male factor (MF) infertility.
- PI. Primary infertility (PI) is infertility without the birth of any previous children.
- RE. The fertility experts in our office have specialized training in infertility and are also known as REs, or reproductive endocrinologists.
- SA. As part of a complete fertility evaluation, you and your partner will both undergo testing. A semen analysis (SA) assesses the shape, size, number and movement of sperm to check for any abnormalities.
- SI. When you experience infertility after the birth of at least one other child, doctors call that condition secondary infertility (SI).
Get the fertility support you need
At USC Fertility, we want to help patients successfully navigate the infertility treatment process. Our doctors can explain the fertility acronyms and answer any questions so that you feel comfortable as you travel the path to parenthood. For more information or to schedule a consultation, contact our Los Angeles fertility center.