With careful planning, you can travel during fertility treatment
If fertility treatment is part of your summer plans, you may be wondering if it’s possible to work your treatment cycle around that trip you’ve been longing to take. Well, get ready to say “bon voyage,” because with careful planning and coordination with your Los Angeles fertility specialist, it’s often possible to travel during fertility treatment.
What to know about travel during fertility treatment
Certain types of fertility treatment are more complicated to plan around than others. During an in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle, for example, there are periods of time in which you must receive daily in-office monitoring, and your egg retrieval must be perfectly timed. For less-intensive treatments, you may be able to fit a quick trip into your schedule much more easily.
If you travel during fertility treatment, chances are you’ll need to bring your medications along with you. That requires some advance planning.
- Before your departure, ask us for a physician letter to document that you are traveling with medications.
- If you’re traveling internationally, be sure to ask your Los Angeles fertility specialist if any required vaccinations are safe during treatment.
- Check your airline’s guidelines for traveling with medications and/or syringes and needles.
- Before airport screenings or customs, state that you are carrying medications.
- Never check medications with your luggage.
- Make a kit for your carry-on bag that includes everything you need, from alcohol wipes to syringes and a sharps container. Bring extra supplies, just in case.
- If your medication requires refrigeration, bring along a frozen gel pack and insulated bag. Be sure that your hotel room has a mini fridge, or buy a cooler and some ice once you arrive at your destination.
- Always know where to go nearby if you have a medical emergency.
Travel is a great way to relieve the stress that comes with infertility, but if you’re thinking about planning an escape, be sure to contact us before you make your reservations. As you might expect, we discourage you from traveling to areas that expose you to the Zika virus. That said, we’ll be happy to do whatever we can to coordinate your treatment plan around your much-needed getaway.
To learn more about travel during fertility treatment, talk to your Los Angeles fertility specialist. Contact us to schedule a consultation.