Post Graduate Training
|Fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
||2017 – present
USC Keck School of Medicine, LAC+USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Program Director: Richard J. Paulson, MD
|Internship and Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
NYU School of Medicine/Bellevue Hospital Center, New York NY
Chairman: David L. Keefe, MD
Program Director: Abigail Winkel, MD
|2008 – 2013
||New York University School of Medicine; New York, NY
Doctor of Medicine, Class of 2013
|2004 – 2008
||New York University; New York, NY
Bachelor of Arts – Major: Chemistry, Minor: History
Magna Cum Laude, 3.83 overall GPA
|2000 – 2004
||West High School; Knoxville, TN
Graduate with Honors
|2012 – present
||Private tutor, self employed
||Biochemistry Teaching Assistant
New York University, Under Dr. Burt Goldberg
||Biochemistry and Experimental Biochemistry Teaching Assistant
New York University, Under Dr. Burt Goldberg
||Organic Chemistry Teaching Assistant
New York University, Under Dr. Morris Fishman
Honors and Awards
||Mortimer Levitz Best Resident Research Paper, NYU School of
Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2016
||University Athletic Association (UAA) All- Conference Second Team
at First Doubles
||Selected Captain for 2007-2008 NYU Varsity Tennis Team
||UAA All-Conference First Team at Second Doubles, Second Team at
||French Book Award (Highest Honors) for Intermediate French II
||French Book Award (Highest Honors) for Intermediate French I
||Selected Most Valuable Player (MVP) for 2004 – 2005 Seasons for
NYU Varsity Tennis Team
||Selected UAA Player of the Week (Women’s Tennis) for week of
February 14, 2005
||Dean’s List, NYU College of Arts and Sciences
||President’s Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Committee Honor Roll
Work and Volunteer Experience
||Nanny, to family of Roberto and Maria Giovanna Marsella
|2009 – present
||Regular Babysitter, family of Brian and Harlan Saroken
|2008 – present
||Volunteer and Committee Chair of Patient Education, NYC Free Clinic
|2008 – 2009
||Course Liaison, NYU SoM, Molecular Basis of Medicine and Cellular Basis of Medicine
|2007 – present
||Regular Babysitter, family of TJ and Courtenay Carella
||Camp Illahee Cabin Counselor, Brevard, NC
|2006 – present
||Regular Babysitter, family of Colbert and Mary Cannon
||Volunteer, Bellevue Hospital’s Project Health Care
|2005 – 2007
||Volunteer, Bellevue Hospital’s Reach Out and Read Program
||NYU Women’s Varsity Tennis Team, Captain during 2007-2008
||United States Tennis Association Nationally Ranked Junior Tennis Player
- Distance Running
- Cookies for Kids Cancer Charity; Every Mother Counts Charity
- Grifo J, Adler A, Lee HL, Morin SJ, Smith M, Lu L, Hodes-Wertz B, McCaffrey C, Berkeley A, Munne S. Deliveries from trophectoderm biopsied, fresh and vitrified blastocysts derived from polar body biopsied, vitrified oocytes. Reprod Biomed Online. 2015 Aug;31(2):210-6.
- Hodes-Wertz, B, Druckenmiller S, Smith M, Noyes N. What do reproductive-age women who undergo oocyte cryopreservation think about the process as a means to preserve fertility? Fertil Steril. 2013 100(5):1343-9.
- Noyes N, Melzer K, Druckenmiller S, Fino ME, Smith M, Knopman JM. Experiences in fertility preservation: lessons learned to ensure that fertility and reproductive autonomy remain options for cancer survivors. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2013 30(10):1263-7.
- Knopman JM, Grifo JA, Novetsky AP, Smith MB, Berkeley AS. Is bigger better: The association between follicle size and live birth rate following IVF? Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2012, 2, 361-366.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Smith, M, Hodes-Wertz B, Grifo JA, Goldman KN. Are the Biggest Losing? Analyzing the Effect of Body Mass Index on Pregnancy Rates in Frozen Embryo Transfer Cycles. Oral presentation to be presented to American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Smith, M, Blakemore J, McCulloh DH, Grifo JA, Licciardi F, Hodes-Wertz B. Is Knowledge Power? Does Use Of Preimplantation Genetic Screening in Autologous In Vitro Fertilization Cycles Change Dispositino Time To Donor Egg? Poster presented to Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, 64th Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Hodes-Wertz B, Smith M, Lee HL, Adler A, Grifo JA. Thawed Euploid Embryo Transfer Leads To Better Pregnancy Outcomes, Improved Miscarriage Rates, and No Electively Terminated Aneuploid Pregnancies Compared To Fresh IVF Or Frozen Embryo Transer. Poster presented to American Society of Reproductive Medicine. 70th Annual Meeting. 2014.
- Smith, M, Araya Y, Levy N. A1C as easy as 1,2,3: Decreasing lag time between A1C Checks in Bellevue’s diabetics. Poster presented to NYU Department of Medicine Research Day, 2013.
- Noyes N, Melzer K, Fino ME, Druckenmiller S, Smith M, Knopman JM. Behind the cure: what do patients “choose” when given the “choice.” Poster presented to the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology annual meeting, 2012.
- Javitt A, Smith M, Zhang J, Grifo JA, Levitz M, Javitt NB. Oocyte Matuation: Biologic Role of Sterol Intermediates. Poster presented to Society For Gynecologic Investigation. 59th Annual Meeting, 2012. Poster presented to NYU Department of Medicine, Research Day, 2012.
- Smith MB, Licciardi F. The Secret To Success: Identifying Factors That Predict a Positive IVF Outcome In Patients Over 42 Years Old. Poster presented to American Society of Reproductive Medicne, 67th Annual Meeting, 2011.